The Padron

Where is the Office?

The Municipal office of the “Padron” and also the “Civil Registry for the presentation of documents” in Jávea is now situated in Avenida Amanecer No. 2. This office is situated in the brand new building immediately above the covered Car Park opposite the “Portal del Clot” in the old town. The new office is provisional, until the new Town Hall (to the west) has been finished.

In this new office, there are various desks: The first desk on the left is “Services” which is for miscellaneous matters, including environmental matters, cemetry, etc.; the second desk is for AMJASA (Municipal Water Company) where you can complete documentation (including change of name) regarding your water supply; the next four desks in the middle of the office, are for the Civil Registry for presentation of Documents and the “Padron” of Inhabitants and finally, the last desk is to provide help and advice to foreigners (at this desk, you can seek advice about municipal matters…..).

Office opening hours are from 09.00h to 14.00h Monday to Friday (except for Fiestas).

Is it important that I should enrol on the Padron (Town Hall Electoral Roll)?

Yes, it is fundamentally important for the Town Hall to be informed if you become resident in their town, for their statistics to reflect a true figure of how many nationalities live there. In this way, any funds due to be destined to that town are calculated according to the population, as well as improved services, eg. more medical facilities, more postmen etc. Also for home attendance by medical staff, for injections, dressings, washing etc.

Is it difficult to enrol on the Padron?

No. You visit the corresponding office and fill out and sign a form with them. You may require the Town Hall to “certify” that you are indeed registered with them, so it is advisable to complete this procedure as soon as you begin your ‘residency’ in Spain. It is advisable to visit the Padron to ask if you need to obtain a “Certificate of Registry” (residency in Spain) to enable inscription on the “Padrón de Habitantes” – if so, then follow requirements under the heading “Residency”.

Must I inform the authorities if I move home?

Yes, always.

Even if you move within the same town, it will require the amending of your Registry Certificate to show the new address where you will be living. This can be done by visiting the Police Station that issued the Certificate and they will rectify their record of your details. You will require PROOF of the new address such as the Deed, or a water bill or electricity bill in your name to officially confirm your new address.

PLEASE NOTE (2013): when you need to change the address or your name (through marriage, etc.) on your Registry Certificate, please peruse the “text” of your Registry Certificate to see if you have been given permission of a permanent residence in Spain as it may be necessary for you to just take a photocopy of your passport plus the original plus proof (see above) of new address.
If the “text” does not grant permanent residence, you will have to make a new application for your new Registry Certificate and provide the paperwork as outlined in the section on RESIDENCY, in the Menu on the left of this web page, under subsection “Requirements for a Registry Certificate”.

MAKE SURE that you check out your correct MUNICIPAL ADDRESS – these details are contained within the Rates Receipt for your property. Remember that the Town Hall does not record any “commercial name” details i. e the name of the complex of apartments – the Town Hall refer to the address as the road or street with the relevant number of the street for a house or number for the apartment together with floor number, door number etc.

Do you receive mail at this municipal address?
To check, send yourself a letter and see if it arrives! If your postal delivery is unreliable, organize a private post box for your mail and make sure the Town Hall has details recorded in case municipal notifications need to be sent.

If you move town, you will need to change your Registry Certificate (as it states your registered address) - but first of all, you must visit the Town Hall in your new town, to obtain a Certificate ( Certificado de Empadronamiento ) from them, which verifies that you live at the new address. This applies to residents in the Alicante province and probably in other regions of Spain, but you will have to make sure – do not assume …. do find out .
With your “Padrón” Certificate together with requirements as set out in “Residency - sub section Requirements for a Registry Certificate” you need to visit the corresponding local National Police Station (Comisaria de Policia) to make an appointment to process and obtain your new Registry Certificate.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License